Back in 1880, Lincoln County was
known only as "a howling desert". However, the Harrington,
Furth, & Robinson firm saw that the soil was fertile and could be
used for farming. So in 1882 they bought the land that would later make
up the town of Harrington. It was in the same year that the Northern
Pacific Railway Company looked into stretching their rail lines through
the area. In honor of W.P. Harrington, this land was given the name
"Harrington". One year later people first inhabited the town.
The first store was opened by Edward Willis and
Charles Billings. The next year, the post office was opened by Edward
Willis who assumed the role of the first post master. Soon after in
1884, the black smith shop and the Pickell Hotel were established and
two years later, the first saloon opened.
In 1892, the farming community had its first
grain bins that came along with the Great Northern Railway Company
tracks running down the middle of town. Within the next two years, the
town grew as the railroad continued construction on its railways. Then
the Hotel Harrington opened (now the site of the Bank Block Building.) The main street was established and made
the city come more alive, and there was a two- room school house built,
along with a drug store, stables, meat market, barber shop, two hotels,
four general merchandise stores, drug store, bank, and furniture stores.
By the year of 1890, the town was booming!
In 1897 the grain crop was the best it had ever
been which marked the end of a five year depression. But still, grain
prices were very low. The early 1900's building boom began with the
construction of the Harrington Milling Company. In 1901 the city
established its first government and the mayor was A.C. Billings. The
first city hall was built and the town began to grow until it reached a
zenith of 850 people. In 1901, the Portland Milling Company purchased
the mill. With C.D. Ellis as the manager, the mill increased capacity to
325 barrels per day. And it turned out a breakfast food known as
"Morning Glory." After the milling company, the Gordon, Throop
& Company's draper factory and machine shop was the next most
important manufacturing enterprise. The plant eventually became the
Harrington Manufacturing Company which produced Harrington Harvesters.
These hillside machines with a leveling device were shipped all over the
North West via rail.
The Bank Block building, erected in 1904,
housed the Bank of Harrington, The Opera House, a barber shop, saloon,
and lodging for tenants. Today this building houses the Harrington City
offices and library. The Opera House portion is currently being restored
by local volunteers. In 1914 a new school was built to replace the old
one. In 1916, the telephone and telegraph arrived and the city of
Harrington built a camp for tourists. In 1920, wheat prices were down,
crops were poor, and the farmers struggled with the beginning of the
depression. The crops improved but wheat prices stayed down in 1923. The
city began to grow smaller. Odessa
Union Warehouse purchased the Harrington Milling Company, later
converting the mill into a bulk grain elevator. In 1923 the Harrington
Harvester Company was lost in the largest most disastrous fire in
In 1925 first Harrington Day was celebrated.
Conceived by W.B. Armstrong, it became an official event and the largest
mule show in the United States. The Harrington State Bank, in the Bank
Block building, was the only bank to survive the depression. Eventually,
Harrington State Bank was bought by Old National Bank and later moved to
the former First National Bank building at its current location of Third
and Main. In 1938 Harrington built its first water tower for the price
of $10,450. Parts of the original tower still stand today with
modifications after World War II had ended. In 1949, Harrington built a
new grade school, still in use today, but with many modifications. The
"new" high school was built and connected to the grade school
in 1955. Ten years later awareness was made to the city for the need of
growth. The city built the tennis courts and also the golf course which
is one of the best 9 hole courses in the state.
On May 18, 1980 the city of Harrington was in
chaos because of the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens. It immobilized
Harrington. But good came out of it as the moisture sealing ash layer
was good for the crops creating a record harvest.
Today, Harrington remains connected to its
agricultural heritage. With modern transportation and technology,
residents are just a click or short drive away from urban conveniences.
With a population of 407, K - 12 school enrollment that hovers around 100 students, and essential
small businesses; Harrington remains a friendly and viable community.
"History" written by Harrington High School
student, Travis Gossett. Edited by Karen Robertson
Harrington Harvester Factory
Article by photographer, Bill Carroll
. . . The manufacture of combine related parts and equipment in Harrington, Washington, has a long history. It began in 1905 when Gordon, Throop & Co. built a plant to produce drapers (up to 50 feet), header boxes, wheat racks and other related products. E. R. Gordon’s resume included employment by Holt Manufacturing Co. of Stockton, CA, a leading combine manufacturer that had developed hillside leveling technology in 1891. More in complete article by Bill Carroll
Bill Carroll is a Colfax, WA-based photographer. He grew up in Beaverhead County, MT. He and his wife, Dana, own The Growers' Guide, a resource for agricultural information.
to Lincoln County History
The Hotel Lincoln - On January 11, 1902,
Hotel Lincoln opened its doors. It was a
fine hotel and was hailed as “. . . a two story brick structure,
containing twenty-four large, light and airy sleeping rooms,
fitted with the most modern appointments throughout. This
may safely be pronounced the most comfortably appointed
hotel along the line of the Great Northern between Spokane
and Everett,” touted The Harrington Citizen.|
The Hotel is currently under renovation and and is included on the Harrington, State of Washington, and National Historic Registers! MORE
Harrington Historic Preservation Commission
On November 12, 2009, The Harrington City Council approved an Ordinance to establish a 7 member Harrington Historic Preservation Commission (HHPC). The purpose of the Commission is to provide for the identification, evaluation, designation, protection
and rehabilitation of designated historic resources within Harrington. Through special valuation, and a
property tax incentive, as provided in RCW Chapter 84.26, the Commission's goals will be to:
- safeguard the heritage of Harrington as represented by those buildings, district(s), sites
and structures which reflect significant elements of Harrington history;
- stabilize or improve the aesthetic and economic vitality and values of such sites, and
- assist, encourage and provide incentives to private owners for preservation, restoration,
redevelopment and use of outstanding historic buildings, districts, objects, sites and structures.
MORE HHPC Information & Resources